This one-day course is specifically designed for contractors' field staff who do construction under MMCD contracts. It is focused on the needs of superintendents and field clerks but also includes pointers and suggestions for project managers and estimators. This course is typically run at our office in Vancouver, but we are happy to host the session anywhere in B.C. so long as we have a minimum of 20 students.
This course qualifies for one point in the CCA Gold Seal Program.
Why should I take the Superintendent Course?
The MMCD is the contract of choice of most BC municipalities. Therefore, construction superintendents should know the responsibilities and advantages that flow from the documents. By attending this course, you will better appreciate how the MMCD contract works and how you can improve your chances of making or saving money.
Some BC municipalities are moving towards contract requirements for superintendents to be Gold Seal qualified. The MMCD Superintendent Course may help with this Gold Seal requirement.
- How to minimize your risk-taking during bidding and construction;
- The difference between a Change, Extra Work and Quantity Variation and how to cost each;
- How to calculate allowable mark-ups on Force Account work;
- How to protect yourself when submitting a quotation for a Change or Extra;
- What protection the contract provides against Concealed and Unknown Conditions and unexpected discovery of hazardous materials;
- How to fairly and quickly resolve disputes and deal with changes;
- How you might inadvertently waive your right to make claims;
- Which deadlines can cost you money and which ones can make you money;
- How to argue for more time due to abnormal weather;
- How to receive the incentives and avoid the penalties by doing a project right the first time;
Prices for this course vary between membership types:
Course fee includes electronic copies of Course Binder and MMCD - Volume II. Meals are provided at in-person sessions.